So you want to throw a New Year's Party? Here's our best tips to make yours a festive and fun bash, from cocktails to nibbles, and recovery strategies on New Years day.
1. Send out festive invites in the mail to get people excited - we love these Pop Clink Fizz hand engraved stationary cards from Kate Spade. $24
2. It's New Years! There's no better way to ring in the new year than with a Negroni. They are one of the world's easiest drinks to make at home, and perfect for a cocktail party (ie. they will impress your friends, and they won't take too much work). Make sure to grab one of Campari's limited edition holiday art bottles designed by Ugo Nespolo for extra style points.
1 oz Campari
1 oz Beefeater 24 Gin
1 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
Build over rocks, swipe cut lemon around the rim of the glass, and garnish with a lemon peel. (A traditional Negroni calls for Orange peel, but we like ours with lemon).
3. A handsome bar cart not only brings the room together, but it brings the bar to the party! We love this vintage brass and perspex bar cart designed by Karl Springer.
4. Always serve your cocktails in beautiful glasses - we love these 14k gold triangle glasses that remind us of confetti! $63
5. Holidays are a perfect time to bring out those amazing jewelry pieces - we're lusting after this vintage Cartier jaguar cuff with yellow gold and blackened silver.
6. New Year's Eve is the night when all women want to wear sequins. Go for it. We suggest a classic black sequin number that you can wear for years to come, like the Sequin Lightbox dress from Madewell. $158
7. Gents, dress up. Your lady looks nice, that means you should look nice too. Invest in a pair of handsome specs like these Dita frames. You will thank me when all the ladies swoon over your style!
8. I learned this trick from Miss Daphne Duquesne - serve caviar on purple potato chips & creme fraiche. It's easy, fancy, yet approachable. Don't forget to have plenty of bottles of bubbly on hand to toast at midnight!
9. I have never enjoyed watching the ball drop, for many reasons. This year, have your own pinata party at midnight with Confetti System's gold pinatas, and fill it with all kinds of fun treats like candy, toys, and mini bottles of booze! $140
10. Sick of all the chit chat? Play card games instead! Poker, Gin, Slaps, whatever, but use chic playing cards like this set of gold cards!
11. Ask your guests to bring bottles of bubbly, and keep them cold in an epic champagne cooler. Nothing says party like a giant bowl filled with chilling champagne.
12. Retro champagne coupes add extra flare to a New Years toast - we are smitten with these milk glass coupes from France.
13. Finish off the evening with Champagne Truffles and Frangelico Truffles by MarieBelle. $32
14. So you're the guest to a fabulous fête? Make sure to bring a memorable gift like this cast bronze bottle opener by Iacoli & McAllister. $48
15. Brutal New Year's Hangover? Cure it with a little hair of the dog. We always go for a trusty Bloody Mary, extra spicy, with lots of garnishes. We love Hoosier Momma's Bloody Mary Maker, Absolut Vodka, pickled okra, celery, lots of worcestershire sauce, a LOT of tobasco, and topped off with a Benny's Meat Straw. Pre-order and be prepared. No one wants to be poorly provisioned in the New Year!
Cheers to 2012, and welcome to 2013!!