Father's Day is this Sunday, and I heard you're still needing to pick something up for Dad. Don't worry, I am too.
Here's a round up of some of my favorite gifts that will make any distinguished dad a happy guy!
1. Give dad a gorgeous set of Crystal Bitters Bottles to up his cocktail game. $20
2. I don't know any guy who doesn't like tools, especially new tools, especially new black tools. Give him a set of 8650 Chromium-Vanadium Steel Alloy Screwdrivers with Black Oxide Finish for extra style. $65
3. Cutlery on the go is great for adventures and for feeding little tykes. He'll love these Wood Patchwork Adventure Utensils from Tumbleweeds Handcraft. $45
4. Let the world know he's a Rad Dad. $3.50
5. Give him finest mixing tequila ever created: Casa Dragones Blanco. (It's damn fine for sipping too). Crisp, clean flavors of Agave with flavors of slate, salt, and fresh herbs that come from the volcanic soil. Who knew tequila could taste this good? (I did). $75
6. Chris Morris, master distiller of Woodford Reserve has created an exceptional bourbon for his Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select. Caramel and slightly waxy on the nose, with a taste of dried stone fruits, peppercorn, toasted grain, with a minty finish. This bottle is an excellent addition to any highly curated bourbon collection. $32
7. If dad loves the spiciness of rye whiskey, I recommend a bottle of the gorgeous Lock, Stock, & Barrel Straight Rye Whiskey. This double copper pot still barrel proof whiskey is aged for 13 years, and is a spicy rye with flavors of jammy apricots, pink peppercorn, salt, and spearmint. Water brings out the best in this whiskey, it tastes almost like a toasted chocolate cream pie with the spicy heat from the rye coming at the end of the palate to compliment the sweetness. $140
8. All these fine spirits deserve proper glassware. Get dad a few handsome crystal low-ball glasses perfect for sipping spirits! I love the Clear Cubism Double Old Fashioned Glasses by Moser. $250
9. Help dad do his job in style with a Jack Spade Waxwear Dad Bag. $298
10. Make dad a gorgeous meal at home of Steak on the grill and Terrazas de los Andes Reserva Malbec. Tips for grilling from Peter Kaminsky from the NY Times: Brine your Meats, Use Charcoal to get smoky, woody flavors, use low heat, use a griddle on the grill, and when in doubt, use a thermometer to eliminate guess work. $22
11. Is dad a whiskey drinker, but interested in trying something new?? Give him a bottle of Milenio 1800 Extra Anejo Tequila aged for five years in American Bourbon Barrels and finished for four months in Cognac Barrels. The result is a tequila that is smooth and nice for sipping, with a nose of sour agave and a taste of subtle caramel, piquant spicy agave, cinnamon, honey, pepper, and a sharp, minty finish. $125
12. Handsome time pieces never go out of style. I love Shinola's watches that have a look that is both modern and timeless. Handmade in Detroit, The Runwell 47 has a stainless steel case with Argonite 1069 quartz movement, and has a Hadley-Roma leather watch strap, also handmade in the USA. $600
13. Give dad the gift that will keep on giving: bartending skills. Jeffrey Morgenthaler has just published his first book The Bar Book: Elements of Cocktail Technique that focuses on the tricks of the trade, otherwise known as technique. Up your man's game, and you'll be thanking yourself cocktail hour after cocktail hour. $22