All the kids might be back in school, but I stand by the calendar - summer is not over!! We've got two solid weeks until the official start of fall, and I plan to maximize every second of it! Which means, lots of grilling, eating garden fresh veggies, and of course, drinking lovely summery wines. If you're looking for a great wine to serve with a burger, or just to sip outside on the porch, look no further, here's my list of my favorite wines for the Indian Summer!
1. Brancott Estates Flight Song is a Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand that is naturally lighter in sugar, and is one of my favorite wines from this summer. The grapes are harvested earlier in the year so they have less sugars, and produce a dry and refreshing wine with flavors of pink grapefruit, passion fruit, and lemon. $14
2. Martín Códax Albariño Rías Baixas 2011 is another dry and aromatic white wine from North-Western Spain made with Albariño grapes. This wine has bright fruity flavors of peach, green apple, lemon, apricot, a slight taste of orange peel, with subtle floral notes. $15
3. Oyster Bay Chardonnay is one of my favorite chardonnays right now (and they serve it at my local resto), also from Marlborough, New Zealand. This wine has bright and creamy fruit flavors of lemon, peach, and tangerine, with a touch of oak and a distinctive minerality that makes this wine incredibly delicious. $15
4. Las Rocas Garnacha 2012 is a big and flavorful red wine that is great to pair with Spanish food and anything being cooked on the grill! Las Rocas is a peppery wine with big flavors of ripe cherry, stone fruits, blackberry, with a touch of anise at the finish. $15
5. Fichimori is a red wine made from Negroamaro grapes that is meant to be served chilled. This is a great choice for people who love red wine, but want something cold in the last days of summer! Fichimori is a well balanced wine with flavors of cherry, pomegranate, and rose. $20
6. Lágrimas De María Tempranillo Rosado is a rosé made from Tempranillo grapes grown in the Rioja region. This is a refreshing wine that is produced in limited quantities, with flavors of red fruit, caramel, and strawberry on the nose, and bright flavors of strawberry jam and well balanced acidity on the palate.
7. Te Wahi by Cloud Bay is made in Central Otago, New Zealand, and is a fruity, yet refreshing red wine that is perfect for the last drips of summer and into the fall. This is a gorgeous wine with flavors of ripe summer fruits - cherry, blackberry, pomegranate, chocolate, pink peppercorn, earthy tannins, with a clean, dry finish. $75
8. Marvelous Wines are the collaboration between a winemaker, a chef and an entrepreneur - with the goal to create multi-varietal blends from selected vineyards. I enjoy their white blend made from 60% Chenin Blanc, 30% Chardonnay, and 10% Viognier and has a pleasant blend of tropical fruit, minerality, and a touch of citrusy acidity. $15