Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Old Poodle Dog

The Old Poodle Dog, established in 1849, was San Franisco's first, and most notorious French restaurant. The restaurant, opened by Frenchmen P. Allarme and A. B. Blanco, was originally called "Le Poulet d'Or," and later was given the nickname of the Poodle Dog by the 49'ers who couldn't pronounce the proper French.

Each floor was devoted to different parlors for significantly different epicurean delights.

The first floor dining room, lavishly decorated in the Rococco and Louis XIV styles, provided an elegant environment for a man to properly entertain his wife and daughter in public.

In the small second floor dining rooms, men would entertain their mistresses in private.

The third, fourth and fifth floors provided private sex parlors accessible only by a side door and elevator. Each suite included an elegant bed, rich European Axminster carpets, a bathroom and telephone. With a wink and a nod, the elevator operator became one of the wealthiest service men in town.

The sixth floor housed an opulent banquet room for up to 250 guests to celebrate.

Wedding reception of Ernestine Godeau & Robert de St. Denis at Ritz Old Poodle Dog c. 1908. Bride and Groom in center

Several Ebay vendors have collections of incredible Old Poodle Dog menus, invitations, and wine labels.

1910's Souvenir Wine List and Menu Cover

...

October 20, 1916 Old Poodle Dog Menu

...

Old Poodle Dog Letterhead

...

1916 Christmas Menu

...

Old Poodle Dog postcard

...

Old Poodle Dog postcard

...


A Modern Cook

...


Vintage 1900 private label Chablis for OPD

...


For more information on the Old Poodle Dog, see these articles.

1 comment:

Share This!